Students: Reporting An Incident

Title IX
Title IX Office
For Students
        Bystander Intervention
For Employees

Reporting: Filing a Complaint

You are encouraged to report any incident of sexual misconduct to the University's Title IX Coordinator, even if you have filed a report directly with local law enforcement, so that the University can investigate and respond. Link to Title IX incident report.


The University cares deeply about supporting students and employees, and protecting community safety. Therefore, under RMU's Policy on Sexual Misconduct and Relationship Violencemost employees who witness or receive a report of sexual misconduct must report the incident to the Title IX office. These employees are referred to as Required Reporters. Exceptions include employees who are empowered by law to maintain confidentiality, such as those in Student Health Services, the Counseling Center, and Pastoral Counselors. 

Under the federal Clery Act, many employees also have a duty under federal law to report crimes to the RMU Police Department. Their report to police will include the date, time, and place of the incident, but will not include the individual(s) names.



Office of the Dean of Students

(412) 397-6486

Residence Life/Community Advisers
(412) 397-5252

Ethics Point Hotline
(800) 963-5593

Financial Aid
(412) 397-6250

Legal Resources, 
Visa & Immigration Assistance
(412) 397-5490

Student Health Services
(412) 397-6221

Counseling Center
(412) 397-5900

Campus Ministry
(412) 397-6483

Reporting: Additional Measures
You are encouraged to take the actions summarized below, regardless of whether or not you choose to pursue criminal charges or file a Title IX complaint with the University.

Ensure Your Physical Safety
You are encouraged to seek help from, and report crimes to local law enforcement by dialing 911 or University Police at (412) 397-2424. University Officers are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Seek Medical Assistance and Treatment
It is crucial that you seek medical attention as soon as possible following a sexual assault in order to identify and treat any physical injuries, to prevent or treat any STDs, and to collect evidence. Heritage Valley Sewickley Hospital administers evidence collection kits ("rape kits"). If you have experienced sexual assault and would like to go to Heritage Valley Sewickley Hospital, you can contact the University Police for assistance. In order to best preserve evidence for an evidence collection kit, it may be advisable to avoid showering, going to the bathroom, or brushing teeth, eating, or drinking before the kit is completed. You should also wear (or take with you in a paper, not plastic, bag) to the hospital the same clothing that you were wearing during the assault. An evidence collection kit can still be completed if you have showered or bathed, although it is possible that some evidence may be compromised. You do not have to file a police report if you have an evidence collection kit completed.

Obtain Emotional Support
The professionals at the Student Counseling Center at RMU can be an important source of support for students who are victims of sexual assault. They may also provide referrals to outside providers and can assist with contacting law enforcement, if you choose to file a criminal complaint. The Counseling Center's services are free of charge to students.

You are encouraged to report any incident of sexual misconduct, particularly sexual assault, to the Title IX Coordinator, even if you have filed a report directly with local law enforcement, so that the University can investigate and respond.